How Kinect from Microsoft Is Changing The World
Microsoft introduced Kinect in 2010. And from this was born a world of Kinect hackers that found other uses for the motion detecting, body outline reading device. Some great uses are:
1. Enabling a drone to see its environment
2. Creating a 3D scanner that can create anything using a 3D printer
3. Directing the music of a computer generated orchestra
4. Remotely brushing a cat’s fur
5. Interactive games where you use body language, or in some cases just your tongue, to control a virtual world.
6. A game that helps autistic children develop new skills
7. A scanner that reads the barcodes from food as you place it in the shopping cart
8. A device that helps Bloomingdale’s shoppers find the right sized clothes
9. A device to better help you parallel park
Source: New York Times
A great summary of all the projects that came out of hacks of the Microsoft Kinect.