Earlier today we here at WOBI hosted a webinar with Bill Schulz of Walden University and Dr. Henry Chesbrough of the Program for Open Innovation at Berkeley Haas. The topic of the webinar was “Open Innovation: Bringing the Outside In, and Taking the Inside Out.” Here are our top ten takeaways from the webinar:
1. Innovation is becoming Open Innovation
2. This means it is about taking down the fences around your Research and Development facilities
3. Start breaking down internal silos preventing open sharing of ideas
4. Re-think the relationship between your Intellectual Property and the “Commons.” Understand that Open Innovation creates new growth opportunities
5. The legal and creative teams should try new approaches between Intellectual Property (IP) and Open Innovation.
6. Ask if you or your company has an internal strategy for Open Innovation
7. Recognize that the old model of knowledge hoarding is giving way to knowledge sharing
8. Use judgement in applying your ideas about IP when venturing abroad, while recognizing that no one company or R&D department can go it alone
9. Follow @openinno to stay current or share comments and ideas
10. Preparing for the Open Innovation journey requires the following four steps: experimentation, commitment, expansion and being part of the DNA
Later this week the recording of the webinar will be available on demand at WOBI Live!